For email notification when new posts are added, please provide your email address in the "Follow by email" space below

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The big decision...

Wow!  We're moving to Swaziland.  Looking back now, Mark and I can see that this decision has been in process for many years...probably 10 or more.  What seemed like random events in the past, now piece together into a huge arrow pointing to Africa. 

Two summers ago our family took a mission trip to Swaziland with Heart for Africa.  Mark had been on several mission trips (Dominican Republic, Indonesia, China), and we had gone on Spring Break trips with Lighthouse Family Retreat.  But, we've always wanted to take our children on a mission trip to Africa.  And, Cameron was finally old enough, Austin hadn't yet graduated high school and we had money in savings for just such a trip.  So, July 2010, we boarded an 18 hour flight to Swaziland!  What an unbelievable experience!  We saw things, felt things, and did things we never thought we would.  We were overwhelmed with both the poverty and the joy, the dire circumstances and the compassion.  Yet, when we returned the last thing on our mind was moving.

The following fall we decided to put our house on the market.  We felt it was the prudent thing to do considering the economy and the state of the real estate market.  We had quite a few "lookers" that fall, but no offers.  In January, a friend asked if I'd be interested in reading through the Bible in 90 days with her.  Sounded like a good challenge so I took her up on it.  About 8 months later....I was just starting the New Testament!  Yet, as I read through the gospels: Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John, I was overwhelmed with the thought that I wasn't doing enough for orphans and vulnerable children.  Every parable Jesus taught, every word he said always led me back to the question, "what am I doing specifically for orphans and vulnerable children?".  I felt there was more that we as a family should be doing with the resources that God had given us - yet I didn't know exactly what I/we should be doing.  Finally after talking with Mark one night, trying to explain to him that there was more we should be doing for poor, starving children, I told him I thought we should move to Swaziland.  In that moment, I knew that was exactly the answer I was looking for!  And Mark's answer...he was extremely excited at the prospects of serving the children of Swaziland.  In actuality it really wasn't a decision - it was more of a realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment